Thursday, September 6, 2012

Lost and Found




One of my mottoes in life is "there's treasure everywhere". Of course this is something that drives my wife nuts. She's a neat and organised person. One thing she hates is when I'm behind the wheel and I can not tell her exactly where I'm at or where I might possibly be going.



On one of my rambles, just a few miles north of French Creek State Park in Pennsylvania, I found a railroad grave yard. Or at least that what I thought it was.



Not everything is what it seems to be. After taking a few pictures I met an old man who was the owner of the property. He's nice guy and we talked for a good hour.

At one time he started to convert his 300 acre farm into a tourist attraction. There was going to be a one mile loop of track for a steam locomotive with a number of cars and steam tractors on display. I was told there was a "temporary" hold on the work because one of his sons was killed while directing a crane operator in the process of moving one of the train cars.

The old man assured me the work would resume some day soon. I found out through another source that the son had tragically died about fifteen years ago. I was like meeting a character from a Ken Kesey novel, that is if Ken Kesey was writing sequel to his book Never Give An Inch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment