Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Disappointment and Evolution of Social Media


I was listening to one expert speak about how social media has been the biggest thing in the last five years but he also speculated that social media will be the biggest bust in the next five years. It's difficult to say, though on one tech news program a few days ago the story was the decline in Facebook membership as more people leave the service than join it.


























The internet has connected the world together and it seems that people half way around the globe are just as interesting or as dull as the people we get to see face to face every day. The only problem the in-person conversation is fading from the social scene. At least it looks that way.

A friend (Frank) asked me to meet him at a local Starbucks, it was his treat so how could I say no -even though I don't like the franchise. This one particular Starbucks is on the edge of a strip mall and oozes polystyrene generic-ness.

Two things to mention, I do not carry a cell phone or lap top and I have a hearing loss. That means I like to talk and I talk pretty loud.  I have been compared to David Lynch's character on Twin Peaks but only people over a certain age will get that reference.  Of course if you're really curious, you can Google it.



















Any way in the middle of our chat over over-priced coffee I notice that Frank and I are the only two people verbally communicating with a living person. Everyone else was hunched over a screen of one kind or another. Something was unnatural about this, free wifi has created the mobile couch potato.


During the course of the weekend so far I have tried to stay mobile and here are a few pictures of what I saw today.











Part of the philosophy of this blog is to take in the pleasures of the world around you.  Where ever you are -be there now. If a stranger came to your town, where would you take them or what would you do to have a good time? Actually there's no reason to wait for a stranger or guest, enjoy the things that right in your own hometown.  Most people have no idea what's nearby their own home. It like discovering that 99% of all New Yorkers are too busy to visit the Statue of Liberty or The Empire State Building.

























As the novelty of social media peaks and it burns through its fifteen minutes of fame, the next big thing might be authenticity. Computers aren't going to go away but people watch so many cute cats on Youtube or save the Earth form the evil forces of the Convenient.    

The future evolution of social media is unclear though I dread the day when barrier between the computer and mind gets breached. 









A long time ago I promised I would never  posted what I had for lunch. But this is where I had lunch and I bet there's a place near your home where somebody with a vision made a place that's not like ever other. 




No comments:

Post a Comment